Album of 48 original photographs depicting sights around the city of Guatemala, predominantly architectural, some photographs with hand-written captions or captioned within the plate, views include the Catedral Metropolitana, National Theater, Templo de la Recolección, Plaza de Armas, Gran Hotel, Calle de la Libertad, Calle del Mercado, Iglesia de San Francisco, Escuela de Derecho, Escuela Politecnica, street views, bullfighting scenes, statues, and other scenes around the city. Photographs laid down, some minor soiling or age darkening to some pages, slightly warped, minor foxing to first photograph. Oblong 4to., most images 7" x 9". 3/4 leather, raised spine, wear and bumping to extremities. N.p. (Guatemala City?) n.d. (circa 1900).
Modern-day Guatemala City became the capital of Guatemala in 1775 after a series of earthquakes destroyed the old capital, Antigua, and King Charles III of Spain officiated the move. The city was the site of the declaration of independence of Central America from Spain in 1821, and became the capital of the United Provinces of Central America that same year. None of the photographs in this album have visible signatures, although they appear to be taken by multiple photographers.
Book ID: 48548