Warsawa-Praga: Komenda m. st. Warszawy; drukarna “Do boju!”, 1944. Single leaves, on blue and yellow newsprint, printed recto and verso; measuring 34 × 25.5 cm. One issue with a photograph. Old horizontal creases; three issues with moisture stains to margins; occasional small tears to folds; overall about very good.
Six issues of a rare, ephemeral newsprint bulletin published in the Praga district of Warsaw, on the Eastern side of the Vistula River, where the Polish Home Army and Soviet forces had expelled the Nazis by mid-September. The periodical appears to have been published after the liberation of Praga, but while the fighting continued in Warsaw’s center, where the Warsaw Uprising took place from August 1 to October 2, 1944. This was the largest armed resistance campaign carried out during WWII and a tragic failure that led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and the systematic destruction of large parts of Warsaw by German forces. The uprising was initiated once German forces began to retreat due to the approaching Red Army; while Polish fighters initially established control over large parts of the city, the Soviets stalled and ignored calls for assistance, in a strategic play by Stalin aimed at weakening the Home Army, which was opposed to Soviet rule, and instead sought to re-install the exiled Polish government. The present journal contains various pro-Soviet articles, news about the war effort in Praga, Poland, and beyond, as well as a few original poems. One issue illustrated with a photograph of Polish troops operating artillery in Praga. With the printed slogan at the upper right: “ mier niemieckim naje d com” (Death to the German occupiers). Published from September 21 through October 27, 1944. Edited by Wiktor Borowski (1905–1976). A scarce survival; war-time publications from the Polish resistance are scarce. January 2020, we cannot trace any copies outside Poland.
Book ID: 50500