Helsinki: Suomen Arkkitehtiliitto (Finlands Arkitektförbund), 1937. Quarto (30 × 20 cm). Original decorative black cloth, embossed and printed in white; XXXIV, 404 pp. Profusely illustrated from photographs and drawings. Inconspicuous repair to hinges; very faint moisture stain to upper edge; private bookplate to title; overall very good.
First and only issue of this directory and guidebook issued by the Finnish Association of Architects, founded in 1892 and to this day the professional organization representing architects in Finland. Intended for architects, construction engineers, builders, designers, and related specialists, the volume lists architectural bureaus, engineering and construction companies, suppliers of concrete, steel, elevators, electrical equipment and other elements, as well as furniture and interior design suppliers active in Finland, including producers of tiles, wallpapers, wall hangings, lamps, kitchen appliances, and other components. Also reproduced is the charter of the Finnish Association of Architects, the list of members, as well as building standards and regulations. Illustrated throughout from photographs of primarily modernist Finnish architecture and interior design, as well as various related products.
The book clearly exudes the modernist and functionalist spirit that characterized new Finnish architecture from the early 1930s onward. Thus, the entries for each of the architectural firms are illustrated predominantly with urban functionalist constructions, and the book’s design itself exemplifies the new aesthetic. The directory of members lists such outstanding Finnish modernist architects as Alvar Aalto, Eliel Saarinen, Aarne Ervi, Viljo Revell, and Erkki Huttunen. An encyclopedic resource for scholars of Nordic Classicism and Functionalism, which continued to reign in Finland during the post-war period of reconstruction.
As of May 2020, we cannot find any copies outside Finland via KVK, OCLC.
Book ID: 50743