Moscow: self-published, 1929. Octavo (15.5 × 11.5 cm). Original decorative wrappers; XIII, 3–31 pp.  leaves of plates. Rust to staple; light wear to wrappers and spine; ink stains to front wrapper and two first leaves; still about very good.
Catalog of the second and last exhibition of OMKh (Society of Moscow Artists), one of the major Moscow art groups, which functioned in 1927–1931. A total of 512 works were presented at the exhibit by 51 artists including A. Lentulov, S. Gerasimov, A. Osmerkin, among others. Introductory articles were written by the art critic Ignatii Khvoinik and N. M. The group was created through a merger of several art groups including “Bytie” (Being), “Bubnovyi Valet” (Jack of Diamonds), “Makovets”and “Zhar-Tvet” and was based at the State Academy of Arts (GAKhN) in Moscow. Like “Bytie”, OMKh wanted to preserve the tradition of painting. A “centrist” group, OMKh was positioned between OST (based on avant-garde aesthetic principles) on the left and AKhRR (based on the 19th century realists “peredvizhniki” which championed Socialist Realism) on the right. The group did not have a unified artistic platform, uniting many masters of various artistic movements, and rather represented the modern Moscow school of painting as a whole, in all its variety of styles and directions. OMKh artists also took part in the exhibition of Soviet art in New York in 1929. See Azarkovich, Vystavki khudozhnikov SSSR, vol. 1, p. 297. As of June 2020, KVK and OCLC show copies at the Getty, Frick, the Met, and Princeton.
Book ID: 50816