Yaroslavl': self-published, 1987–90. Quartos (29 × 20 cm). Original side-stapled pamphlets (30 × 21.5 cm); 7 to 12 leaves of typescript text and hand-drawn color illustrations to rectos only. All issues signed by the artists and compilers. Very good.
Complete run in five issues of the first Soviet UFO-logical journal, a Perestroika-era bulletin issued by the Coordinating Center of Ufology in Iaroslavl’, as well as a second periodical containing only drawings of aliens and other "visitors" from outerspace. Тhе monthly journal was typewritten and occasionally included reproductions of photographs of unidentified objects, with these special hand-illustrated issues published about twice a year. Each illustration is accompanied by brief remarks regarding the place of the sighting and persons witnessing the event. Volume four of this collection includes observations made by children with an appendix of their drawings. Volume five is focused on sightings reported internationally in Germany, Italy, Czechoslovakia, and the United States dating as far back as the early 1950s and 1960s. Each volume is signed by the editorial team: Artist L. O. Eremeev; issue editor, V. D. Musinskii; and publisher Iu. A. Smirnov.
The study of intelligent non-human life in space was intermittently encouraged, censored and classified by the Soviet state. Open lectures on the topic were offered by the astronomer and physicist Iurii Zigel’ at the Moscow planetarium as early as 1947, followed by the lectures of Iurii Fomin in 1957–1960. This openness alternated with aggressive debunking campaigns published by the central newspaper “Pravda” disputing the UFO myth in 1961. In 1967 Zigel’ was allowed to appear on national television to solicit observations of “unidentified aerial phenomena” from the viewers for scientific analysis. His project was terminated with directives from the state in 1968, followed by another set of attacks in the media. The topic nevertheless captured the popular imagination, pushing underground all information gathering of the sightings of “unidentified phenomena”. Unofficial UFO study groups appeared across the Soviet space, in Moscow, Yaroslavl, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Kharkov etc. leading to the flourishing of UFO samizdat in the 1970s and 1980s. The topic was finally de-classified in 1989. After the removal of censorship, the editors of this journal, V. D. Musinskii and Iu. A. Smirnov, turned the publication into a newspaper titled “Chetvertoe izmerenie” [The Fourth Dimension] which appeared 1990–2007.
As of August 2021, not in KVK, OCLC. Not held by the Russian State or National Libraries.
Book ID: 51394