A complete run of 12 volumes, bound in 4, of the important French journal under the direction of architect Charles Normand, concerned with the monuments and urban preservation of Paris, containing many hundreds of pages of documents and papers on well-known buildings and works of art, collections, demolished structures, archaeological finds, vandalism, and other topics. Profusely illustrated with approximately 400 fine illustrations from photographs, elevations, floor plans, and line drawings, including many folding plates. Large 8vo. Leather-backed marbled boards with raised spines and gilt details. Overall very good condition, some minor toning and edgewear. Paris, 1885-1900.
Complete run of the bulletin published at irregular intervals, including a three-year gap between volumes 11 and 12. The Société was founded by Normand with the goal of fighting against vandalism, and its members organized walks, visits, and excursions. Meetings were held at the Cercle de la Librairie on boulevard Saint-Germain. The society also fought for saving certain Parisian institutions and buildings from modern projects being erected on or nearby the structures, including the Église Saint-Pierre de Montmartre, Église Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre, the first medical school on rue de la Bûcherie, the Esplanade des Invalides, royal squares, and some hôtels particuliers including Hôtel de Sens, Hôtel Lauzun, Hôtel de Rohan, and Hôtel Biron, now the Musée Rodin. Membership was over 600. Society members included Victor Hugo, Albert Lenoir, Eugène Müntz, Antoine-Nicolas Bailly, Édouard Corroyer, Honoré Daumet, Charles Garnier, and many other important figures of French art and architecture.
Book ID: 51900