Tbilisi: Sakhelmts’ipo st’amg [State publishing house], 1920. Small octavo (16.8 × 13 cm). Original side-stapled printed self-wrappers;  pp. Light wear to wrappers and spine fold; text evenly toned; some mild ink staining along top edge of front cover; still about very good.
Catalog of the third exhibition of paintings held by the Society of Georgian Artists in Tbilisi, Georgia. The organization exhisted from 1916 to 1921 and played a key role in furthering the visual arts in Georgia, as well as collecting and documenting Georgian folk and historical art. It was founded at the behest of the St. Petersburg- and Munich-educated artist Dimitri Shevardnadze. In 1920, the Society helped found the Picture Gallery in Tbilisi. In 1919, Shevardnadze helped organize two exhibitions of modern Georgian artists, one in the spring and another in the fall, which were successful enough to help gather funds for sending young Georgian artists to train abroad. Among the most important participants of the present, third exhibition, are famous avant-garde artists Kirill Zdanevich (the brother of Iliazd, or Il'ia Zdanevich), Lado Gudiashvili and Niko Pirosmani (Nikolai Pirosmanishvili), Georgi (Gigo) Gabashvili, and Irakli Toidze. In total, the catalog lists 442 works by 47 artists, with all text in Georgian and Russian on facing pages. Also included are the street addresses for the exhibiting artists.
As of June 2022, no copies located via KVK, OCLC. We can only trace the copy at the Georgian National Library.
Book ID: 52128