Fort Myers, Florida: Bail, Horton & Associates, n.d. [circa 1945]. 4to. (27.9 x 21.5 cm). Original side-stapled illustrated wrappers. 42 pp. with loose bulletin laid inside back cover. Some light soiling to covers, overall very good. Signed opposite title page by Ralph Bail with accompanying inscription "We design them, you build them."
This volume begins with laying out the functions of architects and engineers before providing some background information on Bail, Horton & Associates. According to this booklet, the firm was formed shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War by joining the parent firms of Frank W. Bail Co., Inc., Architects & Engineers (founded in New York City in 1914 before moving to Cleveland in 1920 and to Florida in 1933) and Freeman H. Horton, Consulting Engineer (founded in Florida in 1933).
Bail, Horton & Associates was one of the first group of fourteen organizations selected by the War Department prior to the war to design fourteen huge military garrisons. "Its first War Department contract involved the design of an Anti-Aircraft cantonment to accommodate 22,000 troops, at a cost of $14,224,684, including a 1,500-bed hospital, railroad facilities, water supply and distribution system, sewerage collection and sewage disposal system, electric distribution system, boiler house and steam distribution system, ice plant, and roads."
Over the next four years, Bail, Horton & Associates received more contracts from the War Department for a number of sites in Florida, including: the Bomber Command Base (Hendricks Field) in Sebring; the Bombing and Gunnery Range in Avon Park; the OTU Heavy Bombardment Station, also in Avon Park; the Air Force Ferrying Command Base in Homestead; the Medium Bomber Station, Henderson Field, in Tampa; the First Air Force Miami 36th Street Airport; and the OT Dive Bombardment Station in Cross City, along with numerous airport additions, utilities, and facilities, with construction costs ranging from $3 million to over $17 million per project.
After the war, the firm worked on the design of commercial and industrial buildings, bridges, and other projects. This booklet includes photographs of the exteriors and interiors of a number of building projects in Ohio and Florida along with plans, tables, and other illustrations, including various bridges, the Lake Shore Hotel, a juvenile courts administration building, and Fifth Church of Christ Scientist in Cleveland, the State Office Building in Columbus, and the Lorain County Tuberculosis Hospital, all in Ohio, and the Tampa Bayshore Seawall and Bay Street Yacht Basin, the Fort Myers Yacht Basin, and the Lee County General Hospital in Florida.
Laid in is a company bulletin No. 1, September 1, 1945, titled "Management Moves to the Country". As of July 2022, we could not find this booklet on OCLC.
Book ID: 52130