Other Currencies

The Genocide of the Carpatho-Ruthenians – Concentration Camps in Europe

Talergofskii al’manakh: propamiatnaia kniga avstriiskikh zhestokostei, izuverstv i nasilii nad karpato-russkim narodom vo vremia vsemirnoii voiny 1914–1917 g.g. [Thalerhof almanac: a memorial book of Austrian cruelties, barbarity and violence against the Carpatho-Russian people during the World War of 1914–1917].

L'viv: Izdanie “Talergofskogo komiteta,” 1930–1932. Large octavo (23.7 × 18.3 cm). Later red cloth over boards with the original wrapper illustration affixed to front board; 156 and 158, [2] pp. Light foxing and toning to text due to stock; annotation in marker to first leaf; one leaf detached; occasional small pencil marks to upper margins; good or better.

Rare commemorative anthology with recollections and literary writings, dedicated to one of the first concentration camps in Europe, operated by the Austro-Hungarian imperial government in 1914–1917. The Thalerhof camp was established by Austro-Hungarian forces in the early days of the war and existed from September 4, 1914 to May 10, 1917. Members of the Carpatho-Russian intelligentsia, as well as dozens of Orthodox priests and their families assembled from some 150 villages were the first prisoners of the camp. The anthology includes diaries of the inmates, drawings of the camp, photographs of atrocities and portraits of some of the victims as well as descriptions of everyday life at the camp. The Interniertenlager Thalerhof, near Graz, Austria, was the site of many violent deaths and tortures of Ruthenians in Galicia and Bukovina, who because of their Orthodox religion and cultural traditions sided with the Russian Empire and sought annexation. As a result, they were targeted as a minority group and subjected to deportation. Reportedly there were no covered barracks until the winter of 1915 and prisoners were forced to sleep on the cold ground. According to congressman Medill McCormick, the prisoners were also beaten and tortured. Overall, the camp was inhabited by some twenty-thousand prisoners during its three-year existence and over three thousand are reported to have died during the first eighteen months alone. The barracks were removed in 1936, leading to the discovery of approximately 1800 corpses, which were re-interred at Feldkirchen. This bound volume contains the third and fourth issue of the memorial book, with the first two volumes published respectively in 1924 and 1925.

As of July 2022, KVK, OCLC show complete sets at Michigan and Toronto, with the first two volumes held at Villanova, Columbia, and Yale.

Book ID: 52138

Price: $1,500.00