Berthold AG Berlin, Probe 265. "Radio - eine neue werbewirksame Schrift" [Radio, a new promotionally effective typeface].
Berlin: [Berthold AG], 1930. Quarto (30.5 × 21.7 cm). Original pictorial card folder with three folding flaps; housing thirteen items of ephemera, of varying sizes, including brochures, samples mounted to cardboard, letterhead, and promotional flyers, all using different cuts of the Radio typeface. Very good or better.
Scarce sampling of commercial brochures, business cards, and letter heads, showing the uses of the "Radio" typeface developed by Adolf Behrmann (1930), which followed his 1928 "Rundfunk" (Broadcast). A compelling demonstration of how quickly the avant-garde idiom of functionalism was absorbed into mainstream commercial graphic design.
The design is attributed to Georg Trump (1896–1985), a typographer, graphic designer, and photographer, who was among the leading modern typographers of the interwar period, next to Jan Tschichold. He studied in Stuttgart and was associated with the Berthold foundry from 1930–35. At Paul Renner's request he was director of the Höhere Grafische Fachschule in Berlin in the early 1930s. Later he replaced Paul Renner at the Meisterschule für Buchdrucker in Leipzig, where he taught alongside Jan Tschichold. Among the fonts he designed were Berthold City, Trump Deutsch, Delphin, Codex, and many others. In 1982 he was awarded a medal by the Type Directors Club of New York.
As of March 2023, we cannot trace any copies of the portfolio in North America. MoMA lists some of the individual contents as part of the Jan Tschichold personal collection.
Book ID: 52810