Tbilisi: Tipografiia K. P. Kozlovskogo, 1892. Quarto (28.5 × 22 cm). Original embossed silk-covered boards; gilt title to front board; 70,  pp. Boards lightly soiled; gilt partially faded; some foxing to end papers, but overall very good.
A detailed account of the business of sericulture in the Trans-Caucasus region (the only major silk-producing region of the Russian Empire), as well as the local factory, workers, a contiguous museum, library, the attached apiary, and even the background of the managers and researchers affiliated with the complex. Also provides an overview of Russia’s interest in silk throughout its history and the role played by silk production in other economies around the world. Founded by the government and ambitious entrepreneurs of the Caucasian metropolis in 1887, the station was a direct response not only to the disastrous and European-wide Pébrine pandemic, which had destroyed silk production, but part of an attempt to diversify the slowed Russian industry. Given its scarcity, presumably issued primarily to stockholders and government officials. Not found in KVK, OCLC; no copies recorded in the trade. We locate a single institutional copy, at the Georgian National Library.
Book ID: P002611