Prague: Alois Lapacek, 1922. Large octavo (24.5 × 16.5). Original staple-stitched photographic wrappers; 1-22,  pp. With nineteen black-and-white photographs in the text. Wrappers lightly soiled; still a very good copy.
Rare publication by the émigré instantiation of Zemgor, or United Committee of the Union of Zemstvos and the Union of Towns, an organization founded in 1915 to assist the Russian efforts during WWI through private means. It is sometimes asserted that the primary goal of the Zemgor was to prepare the October Revolution and numerous of its functionaries served in the Provisional Government. After the Bolsheviks disbanded the organization in 1919, however, many functionaries emigrated and reestablished the institution in Paris in 1920-21. Its primary aim was now to distribute aid to Russian refugees throughout Europe. Chapters were established both in Paris and Prague, both funded by the respective local governments, and during the years of the Civil War it succeeded in evacuating Russians from Constantinople to Yugoslavia and other European countries. The present report focuses on the Zemgor's special interest in the children of the Russian emigration and documents the various educational institutions created in Constantinople, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Czechoslovakia through the joint efforts of the Zemgor and the governments in question. The photographs depict children and young adults of all ages engaged in various activities, from a gymnastics lesson in Bulgaria to a lecture auditorium in Trebova. Also included is a list of all Russian schools and lyceums and the number of students enrolled. KVK, OCLC show only five copies, at Harvard, Leiden University, University College London, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek and Nanterre BDIC.
Book ID: P003765