Frankfurt am Main: Posev, ca. 1950-1956. Single leaf, once folded, printed to rectos and versos, measuring 13.5 × 10 cm. Very good.
[Covert Anti-Soviet Broadcasts by Russian Emigres in Post-War Germany]. This special issue of the semi-clandestine magazine Posev (The Sowing), published by NTS (National Alliance of Russian Solidarists), an anti-communist organization of Russian émigrés, is dedicated to the promotion of the clandestine radio station “Free Russia,” another NTS organ. Small enough to fit into a pocket or inside another book or booklet, the brochure offers detailed information on how and when to catch the secret broadcasts, such as when visiting German friends who will not understand the content of the broadcast. The brochure also promotes the radio station as the bearer of “truth” as opposed to the constant stream of propaganda coming through official Soviet channels. NTS was formed in Belgrade in 1930, by the Russian émigrés fleeing the Soviet regime. The organization was both anti-communist and anti-monarchist and advocated an ideal of solidarity and Christian fellowship of all peoples. By means of disseminating anti-Soviet propaganda among the Soviet soldiers stationed in East Germany in the form of informational handbills, journals like Posev, and eventually radio broadcasts, the members of the group hoped to overthrow the Soviet government from within. NTS and other parallel anticommunist Russian émigré groups, such as the Central Association of Political Emigrants from the USSR (TsOPE) were actively, though covertly, supported by the CIA, and their publications often contained pro-American messages (see John Prados, Safe for Democracy: The Secret Wars of the CIA, 2006; pp. 72-75).
The publication of Posev started in 1945 and with a short break in 1946 continued publication in 1947 onward, publishing information usually withheld by the Soviet official channels. The makeshift radio station “Free Russia” began its broadcasts in 1950 out of a minibus, which traveled through the countryside of West Germany, looking for the most advantageous position from which its broadcasts could reach the East and be heard by the Soviet soldiers and civilians. The rear wrapper of this brochure contains the emblem of NTS and an illustration of the minibus parked in the countryside under a line of telegraph wires, to underscore the secret nature of the operation. Based on the limited broadcast times provided in the brochure, it must have been published sometime before the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, by which point “Free Russia” was able to offer broadcasts round the clock to cover the violent events in Budapest. Scarce.
Book ID: P6580